- “I am right, you are wrong…” Religion has been the seed to many conflicts and when people stand on each side thinking and believing with all of their being that they hold the absolute truth, it can start to be dangerous. This is also of course the weakest argument in my opinion. Since people can be dogmatic and proclaim absolute truth about anything, and not only God claims.
- “What if you are wrong?” Also known as the Pascal’s Wager, a wager suggested by a French philosopher that listed that you would have everything to lose if you did not believe in God and everything to win if you do believe in God. (Actually if there is not a God when you died, and you had believed in God you do not lose anything either.) The weak points of this argument, is that Pascal never pointed out which God claim is real also that the actions one might have done because of ones belief in a deity might be severe.
- “You can be good without God…” This is connected to the discussion about the morality being objective or subjective. The theists I have met, have many times proclaimed that they somehow hold some kind of higher form of morality, that they are better people than atheists. This is of course false, atheists are not immoral people that do not have any sort of empathy. If you need a God claim to tell you to be good, you need help. It is possible to be “good” without God.
- “Praying can change the outcome…” Theists think that telling their supposedly existent deity, this deity will then intervene with reality and change the naturalistic outcome by using magic. This is demonstrably false, it has been put to the test time and time again, and has failed every single time. Not only is the exercise of praying to something an active way of doing absolutely nothing, it can also be harmful because it might change your mind into thinking that praying can overcome illnesses. Also if you believe in an omniscient being, then you cannot change its mind, if you pray to it, it already knew that you would pray, and therefore has already made up its mind, making praying completely useless whether you believe there is such a deity or not.
I might add some more on another date.
Been preoccupied with a lot of stuff.
- Mariam on Romanian witches no longer allowed to cheat.
- Updating & 13.5% to goal - Tylzen's Thoughts on Now accepting donations
- Mark Nielsen on An Atheist Temple? Why I Think It Is A Silly Idea!
- Christian Thostrup on Why I think secularism is important…
- CosmicJoghurt on Why I think secularism is important…